History of the Orchestra League
In October of 1948 the Women's Committee of the Oklahoma City Symphony was founded under the leadership of Mrs. E. Gordon Ferguson, Mr.s Hugh Johnson, and Mrs. Paul Dudley. Mrs Ferguson served as the first President with a membership of fifty.
In 1987, the Women's Committee was separately incorporated as the Oklahoma City Orchestra League (OCOL), Inc., and was no longer an arm of the parent orchestra. Due to labor problems, symphonic music was silent from June 1987 until January 1990. The Orchestra League continued to function during this time and was in place to support the new Philharmonic under the direction of Maestro Joel Levine at its inaugural performance January 6, 1990.
The Orchestra League Endowment Fund was formed in 1990 and continues to support the Philharmonic. In addition to the endowment fund, the OCOL holds various fundraising events such as Music Olympics, the Symphony Show House, and Note-able Occasions. The Music Olympics is a series of competitions for strings, woodwinds, brass, percussion and piano with ages ranging from middle school to high school. The Symphony Show House is a fundraising event where the Orchestra League renovates, refurbishes and furnishes a house around Oklahoma City. Note-able Occasions are a series of get-togethers where individuals and groups may converse and dine with others who hold similar hobbies and interests.