Our vision is to enrich the lives of those we touch, to enhance the cultural life of the community, to educate future generations about the value of music, to entertain our audiences, to elevate the quality of every performance, and to serve as a leader for positive community growth through the performance of excellent symphonic music, and to cooperate with other arts agencies for the betterment of our community.
OKLAHOMA CITY PHILHARMONIC
Title: Development Director
Structure: Full Time
Reports to: Executive Director
Direct Reports: Development Manager, co-supervises Database Manager with Director of Marketing/PR
The Director of Development is the principal strategist and administrator of the organization’s overall fundraising and unearned revenue efforts and is responsible for planning, implementing and monitoring the organization’s Annual Fund program. This position supervises development staff and reports directly to the Executive Director. The Development Director is a partner with other senior staff, members of the Philharmonic Board, the Oklahoma City Philharmonic Foundation Board, Orchestra League Executive Director and members, patrons and donors in order to achieve the organization’s annual budget, fundraising goals and future growth.
– Lead, develop and manage the plan, strategies, timetables and corresponding budgets for annual development activities.
– Build the unearned revenue capacity of the Philharmonic by managing and personally soliciting groups of major gifts donors and coordinate the cultivation of new prospects; develop a strategy around how the organization grows major gifts, including the expansion of planned giving strategies.
– Manage and coordinate development team efforts to include the Executive Director, Music Director, Orchestra League Executive Director, development staff, Board committees and other volunteer leaders to ensure unified development efforts and accountability to deadlines and budgets while continually monitoring quality and impact.
– Strategically plan and coordinate the Music Director’s activities and role as a relationship-builder to maximize revenue, and follow through by methodically and directly soliciting gifts.
– Understand the development solicitation process, the organization’s policy and procedures for gift acceptance, all gift options and their use, and ensure compliance to Oklahoma state fundraising registration requirements.
– Meet and cultivate current and prospective donors and supporters on a continual basis to establish and ensure effective communications and stewardship of relationships.
– Write all direct mail pieces and all individual, corporate or foundation solicitation proposals over $20,000, and coordinate with other development staff and the Orchestra League Executive Director the completion of additional Annual Fund solicitations, sponsorships, donor benefit materials and their delivery, and all published reporting.
– Work with the Director of Marketing/PR to ensure uniform communications and branding with all constituents.
– Steward and grow the membership of the organization’s Maestro Society through a proactive web presence, a catalogue of appropriate marketing and mailing materials, as well as through contacts to strengthen relationships with potential major donors.
– Direct and ensure an exceptional stewardship program through timely acknowledgement, appropriate recognition, and the effective use of donations according to donor intent.
– Mentor and monitor development staff to ensure organizational, position-related policy and procedures are followed and goals are achieved.
– Oversee grant seeking efforts, including research, proposal writing and reporting requirements.
– With the Executive Director, Orchestra League Executive Director, Database Manager and Director of Marketing/PR, help to coordinate specific lists and invitations for the organization’s annual and special events, including the Society’s Annual Meeting, Red, White & Boom, the annual Maestro/Encore Society event, and Orchestra League fundraising and special events.
– Partner with the other senior staff to maintain cross-departmental communication, develop collaborative planning, and mazimize organizational efforts.
– Participate as an ex-officio member on, and provide necessary staff support to, Board development committees.
– Regularly attend Philharmonic Classics and Pops concerts.
– Other duties, as assigned by the Executive Director.
– Veteran fundraising executive with a proven track record of securing major gifts, building long-term relationships and moving prospects and donors through each stage of the giving cycle.
– College degree required with 10+ years of successful experience in a supervisory or managerial role working in a non-profit development setting.
– Proven relationship builder with an ability to work with and motivate a broad spectrum of people, including staff, Board members, volunteers and donors.
– Thorough understanding and experience in fundraising techniques and with all processes involved in annual fund and/or capital campaigns.
– Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills.
– Experience in organizational budget planning, preparation and management.
– Passion for and familiarity with music is a plus.
– To apply, please send cover letter, resume and three references to Kris Markes, Interim Executive Director, (firstname.lastname@example.org) by August 30, 2019. Please contact by email only.